CERTIFICATE SKILLS ASSESSMENTS
GENERAL GYM PROGRAM
Over the next couple of weeks all children in the General Gym program will be assessed on their Term 1 certificate skills. The assessments all take place in class time after the children have done their normal activity circuit for about 7 – 8 minutes, they will sit down to be assessed individually on the skill for the that apparatus. We will be encouraging the children to cheer and clap for the other children in the group as they perform their skills.
How the assessments work…
- After the children have done their circuits, they will sit down to watch each other perform the skill they have been working on.
- The children will be assessed on 4 key points in each assessment skill that they have been working on through the term for their certificate.
- The certificate will be marked as “beginning”, “progressing”, “developing” or “established” based on how many of the key points the child can show.
- Beginning – one key point, Progressing – two key points, Developing – three key points, Established – four key points
- We will be encouraging the cheer and clap for the other children in their group as they perform their assessment skills for each other.
- The children will receive their certificates at the end of class in the last week of term.
Assessing in this way provides a more comprehensive picture as to how each individual child is progressing and gives us feedback as to which areas the coach needs to focus on to assist each child to reach the “established” level.
For the next term, the children will move to a new set of certificate assessment skills. The skills from the previous term will be revised through the term to give the children a chance to consolidate those skills.
Please note that this is not an assessment for children to move up to higher levels. If you or your child is interested in moving to a higher level, please see someone at reception. We can organise a supervisor to assess your child during a class and let you know whether they are ready to move into a different program.